There’s plenty of exclusive clubs in Charlotte. Cliques may be one thing you call them. #WeLoveCLT is not that. I’m not trying to create a community. I’m trying to support all of yours. It’s never been anything but all welcoming. I want every single person in Charlotte in the room at a speaker series, to take over the Instagram, to be introduced in the “have you met?” series and to meet someone new.
If your feeling is that it’s cliquish and you haven’t experienced any of the above things reach out to me. Let’s get you in the room. That’s the first step. I’d love to have you. Alright, let’s get to it.
Have you met and supported?
The “Have You Met?” for the week are Johnny Wakefield introduced by myself and Kathryn Godwin introduced by the ladies of Maiden Flower Crowns. They are two people that understand community and how essential it is to moving this city forward. So awesome. The feature non-profit of the week is Kelly Finley of Girls Rock Charlotte. What they are doing for young girls is essential and really fun. Meet them. Support them.
Do you know someone awesome and want to introduce them to all of We Love Charlotte? Let’s make it happen. I’ve laid out the instructions and guidelines here for you to make your own intro.
Why do you love Charlotte?
In collaboration with designer Sam White each week we’ll feature one Charlotteans reason they love CLT beautifully handwritten by Sam herself. This weeks Charlottean is Mary Ellen Player. “Aspiring, progressing, unexpected”
Tell us why you love Charlotte here. Be creative. Be awesome.
#WeLoveCLT on Instagram
Each week I select one Instagram photo tagged with #WeLoveCLT to be featured at the top of my weekly update. This weeks pick is from Kaitlyn Cofty Walton. People. People. People. Anyone sense a trend? Less food photos more people OR make sure there’s some people in your food photos. Also, one of these years I’ll ride in 24 hours of booty. It looks like a blast.
Takeover time! If you’re interested in taking our Instagram over please go to weloveclt.com/adventures, read the guidelines and fill out the form. Here’s the awesome people that did takeovers this past week.
- Jonathan Kundrat. Volunteer work, friends & food.
- Melissa Lockley. Tech Talent South happenings
- Quinn Reynold. Working hard.
- Laura J. Coffee, friends & beer.
- Pats Place. People, people, people… my fav.
- Girls Rock CLT. Girls, music, education, empowerment.
- Brandon Robinson. TODAY!
A personal update
For those that know me you know I can’t stop. For those that don’t know me I have a problem. It’s that I have a lot of ideas and try to make them all happen. It typically leads to overextending myself but every once in a while something awesome comes from it. WeLoveCLT is one of those things. The next awesome thing is Hygge. My partner Kayla and I are opening our own shared coworking space here in Charlotte called Hygge. What I can tell you is it opens Sept 1, lives at 809 West Hill st, Suite C and we’re looking to fill it with awesome people. It will be more than just offices. Community will be a huge part of it. Email me for details.
That’s it. Be awesome.
Less me, more you. I said this during Sherrell’s talk Thursday night and I mean it. #WeLoveCLT has come a long way and I’m excited to open it up and put more people in front of it. Read on to see how you can get more involved.
Come to the Speaker Series
Go beyond the hashtag. For #WeLoveCLT that starts with getting people in the room for the speaker series and having them have IRL conversation. Each and every month the speakers continue to outdo each other. Sherrell killed it. What she shared was incredibly honest and personal. It was awesome. We should have the audio ready over the next few days. Stay tuned.
Introduce Someone in Have You Met?
The “Have You Met?” for the week are Sam White and Hannah Levinson. You’ll notice something different about Hannah’s introduction. It wasn’t me that made the intro. It was Tori Karlek. That’s right! I’m opening it up.
Know someone awesome and want to introduce them to all of WeLoveCLT? Let’s make it happen. I’ve laid out the instructions and guidelines here. To be honest I’m a bit nervous about this. I don’t want to be an editor so I’m trusting that when you submit someone it’s ready to go. I’m sure they’ll be awesome!
Tell Us Why You Love CLT?
I’m excited to announce a new collaboration between designer Sam White and #WeLoveCLT. Have you seen our new homepage image? That’s handwritten by Sam herself. Each week we’ll be rotating one Charlotteans 3-5 word reason for loving Charlotte on the homepage. Tell us why you love Charlotte here. Be creative. Be awesome.
Use #WeLoveCLT on Insta
Each week I select one Instagram photo tagged with #WeLoveCLT to be featured at the top of my weekly update. This weeks pick by Alyssa Sharpe came via her WeLoveCLT takeover. Her day was filled with Charlotte, children enjoying themselves and education. Easy pick.
Take Over Our Instagram
Takeover time! If you’re interested in taking our Instagram over please go to weloveclt.com/adventures, read the guidelines and fill out the form. I added a calendar that has the available days. So much easier and less back and forth. Here’s the awesome people that did takeovers this past week.
- Kent Youngstrom. The pictures are awesome but please read what he wrote along with each one.
- Chelsea Cote. Move Loot, self defense training and more.
- Alyssa Sharpe. All the Kids having a blast and smiling. Love it.
- Amy Herman. Summer Vintage Market… and chickens.
- Jen D. Today! Flywheel instructor. 24 hours of booty!
Get Out In Charlotte
Did you know that today is National Dance Day? Remember Julie Grosse who I intro’d a little ways back? She works out at PoleFit. They’re having an open house/showcase today (Saturday) and will be teaching the official dance for NDD at noon. Definitely check it out. Details here.
That’s it. You have lots of ways to get involved now. Let’s do it. Be awesome.
Short one this week but that’s cause I really just want you to do one thing. I want you to learn about Pat’s Place. They are a child advocacy center here in Charlotte that works with young kids that are victims of sexual abuse. Yes. Dark. Then meet Amy Amico and Laura Tompkins who work in that world every single day. They and everyone at Pat’s Place are super heroes in my eyes. Meet them. There’s no sugar coating it. I struggled with the right angle that fits that happy, smiley world of #WeLoveCLT. There’s no sugar coating this though. It’s dark and f’d up and something we all should be more aware of. Support them.
If you click two things in this email go over and meet Lauren Levine. She’s a delightful, real and honest person looking for a way to use her experiences in life to educate, bring people together and have conversations. She’s awesome.
The featured #WeLoveCLT image comes from La Niña Designs. I haven’t met her but what I do know is her watercolor game is strong. Her work is awesome. Give her a shout and follow.
Takeover time! If you’re interested in taking our Instagram over please go to weloveclt.com/adventures, read the guidelines and fill out the form. Give a date in August is possible cause July is pretty much 100% booked. Here’s who did a takeover this past week.
- Mary Cowx. It was her Birthday. Giver her some belated love!
- Satya. Someone swallowed fire. Intense. Awesome.
- Chef Alyssa. One of my favs. Love what she’s doing here in Charlotte.
- Amie Kiehn. From CLT to NY. So awesome.
- TrainWithTara. Taking fitness in Charlotte to the next level.
- Headlines Barber Shop. Going for 2000lbs of donated food. Awesome!
- Happening Today! Bailey Benson.
Lastly, if you’re looking for something new and awesome here in Charlotte. Check out Dine and Draw Charlotte. Ashley Bennet is bringing people together that are interested in meeting people, learning and drawing. Very awesome. Check it out.
That’s it. Be awesome!
I’m sick and pushing through. #PositiveVibesOnly. Let’s get right to it. So many awesome people this week. We kicked it off with Matthew Chantry. We had one of the more refreshing marketing conversations in a long time. Also his outwardly love for his family is awesome. Meet him.
Next up. The entire team over at FRESH Boutique. Emily, Ally, Molly and Holly are all awesome. They’re doing their #ShopLocal event today (Saturday). Check out their site, Facebook or Twitter to learn more. Ask them about the Win The Window contest.
Have you met Matt Yarmey of Pure Intentions Coffee? You absolutely should. His passion for Charlotte and using PI Coffee to educate and bring people together is awesome. Meet him. Also, head on down to the Mayobird this weekend. Them and Matt are kicking off their new partnership with all sorts of awesome festivities.
Our feature Charlotte non-profit of the week is Lori Krzeszewski of Behailu Academy. She’s awesome and what they are doing here in Charlotte is essential. Programs like this ensure children are receiving the education they need and deserve. Period. Check them out.
Phew. A lot of awesome people. Click their names or pictures at the bottom of the email to meet them.
[col size=”one_half”][/col][col size=”one_half_last”]The featured image of the week goes to Rebecca Henderson or The Whirling Dirvish. It’s 5:32am on Saturday morning and I’m sick. I needed to see Positive Vibes Only. Thanks for the #WeLoveCLT love and supporting it all. Remember, just use the hashtag on Instagram and each week I’ll pick one featured photo. Honorary mention goes to this one from @inthequeencity. Because Futo Buta Ramen is pretty awesome.[/col]
Alright! Let’s talk takeovers. If you’re interested in taking it over please go toweloveclt.com/adventures, read the guidelines and fill out the form. Give a date in August is possible cause July is pretty much 100% booked. Here’s who did a takeover this past week.
- FuManChu Cupcakes. They had me at cupcakes.
- Tamu Curtis. Gave everyone a little preview of the #QCCheers Summer Cocktail Tour. Yes please.
- Bring Back The Buzz. Check out the link in their profile. Preorders for the “Claim Your Crown” shirts end Monday.
- Taira Duncan. There were Tiaras. It was awesome.
- Shop FRESH Boutique. Getting read for #ShopLocal.
- Rebecca Henderson. This is happening today. She’s bringing her never ending class and elegant decorum.
Let’s wrap you up. Remember Aaron Dodge and Kerri Flanigan. I intro’d them what feels like way back in the day. They came together to kick off Aaron’s #GetOuttaDodge series that highlights awesome people and businesses here in Charlotte. Check out the video here.
That’s it. Be awesome!
Hi friends, Happy 4th of July!
Every week is awesome but this week took a late turn into an all new level of awesome. I had the opportunity to talk about #WeLoveCLT on FOX Charlotte. You can watch the segment here. I’m definitely overwhelmed by the support of all of this. Thank you to all of you. Without you this doesn’t exist. You are Charlotte.
So let’s get to it. The “Have You Met?” for the week was Corley May. She is awesome. I also wanted to share something she tweeted earlier this week. Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools is providing free breakfast and lunch to children age 1 to 18 this summer. This is awesome. Read more here.
Our feature Charlotte non-profit of the week is Robert Touchstone of Carolina Raptor Center. He’s awesome. I wish I had had more time to chat with him. Make sure you hit the bottom of the “Have You Supported?”. They have awesome events coming up. Check them out.
The featured photo above comes from Emily Verdonk. I’ve seen a lot of that painted Gold District wall recently. It’s awesome. Thanks for the #WeLoveCLT love and supporting it all. Remember, just use the hashtag on Instagram and each week I’ll pick one featured photo.
To wrap it all up let’s talk takeovers. If you’re interested in taking it over please go to weloveclt.com/adventures, read the guidelines and fill out the form. July is pretty much 100% booked… so awesome! Here’s who did a takeover this past week.
- 704 Shop. These guys are awesome.
- Jaimis Huff. This yoga crew killed it.
- Jake Fehling. This takeover happens today… Expect Shenanigans.
That’s it. Enjoy some fireworks. Be awesome!
Yesterday Katie Levans tweeted “I am confident @GarrettTichy knows every single person in Charlotte”. I really wish I did. Not only do I want to know everyone but I want to introduce every single one of them to you. So let’s get to it. The “Have You Met?” for the week are Barbara Schreiber and Chef Robert Reinken. They are both really awesome.
The “Have You Supported?” was a special one this week. I introduced the entire team of Queen City Forward. Meet Charles, Christie, and Tori. They are all incredibly awesome people. You’d be better to know them. Click the links above or their pictures at the bottom of the email to read their introductions.
On Monday I participated in the Charlotte Storyteller’s weekly meetup. They’ve created a safe space to meet, connect and share with people. It’s awesome. Everyone should go. More info here.
For anyone that’s participated in one of the two latest #WeLoveCLT events you may have tried Fit You Meals. After sampling for two months my wife and I decided to purchase a few meals last week to have on the busy nights when we’re both exhausted. My quick review. AWESOME. and so much better than ordering out expensive takeout. We ordered again for next week. Check them out. Also if you’re coming to the next event on July 23 they will be there. They’re awesome people. Very real.
Today’s feature image comes from Ramya of the CLT Storytellers. Those clouds! What an awesome shot. Check out here Instagram here. A special shoutout to SimpyyySara. She also had an awesome skyline cloud shot. I had trouble deciding.
Let’s talk Instagram takeovers. Everyone has been killing it but I wanted to call out Amy Reader for taking it to the next level. Not only did we get an awesome adventure through Charlotte. We got a hilarious behind the scenes look at the recording and posing of all of the photos/videos. Well done. Thanks for being real. It was awesome. I’m working on compiling the awesomeness. It’s all over Twitter here.
If you’re interested in taking over the Instagram go here.
To wrap it all up here’s a couple quick Charlotte shoutouts. Check them out.
- I encourage everyone to check out Share Charlotte. The founder Kelly Brooks is on to something here. I’ll have more to say on this soon but wanted to put it in front everyone today.
- Adam Frazier is running a giveaway for passes to see an early screening of the movie “The Gallows”. Seems pretty awesome! Find out more here.
That’s it. Be awesome!
It’s 5:49am Saturday morning and I’m exhausted. I’m still recuperating from all the awesomeness Thursday night. I freaking love it and wouldn’t change a thing. Thanks to everyone that made it out. If you didn’t we missed you. Let me know what it would take to get you in the room. I want everyone to come meet awesome people. Don’t be nervous. It’s a safe place where people (not me) can cry in front of 100 people and not be judged.
So let’s get to it. I’m going BuzzFeed style this week. Mainly because I’m beat and it’ll force me to get to the point. Here we go.
- Katie Levans killed it Thursday night. She was awesome. Audio will be placed online probably Monday or Tuesday. I’ll let you know!
- I announced Sherrell Dorsey as the July 2015 speaker. She’s awesome. Unfortunately it’s completely sold out. If you didn’t get in hop on the waiting list here. Spots always open up.
- Have you met Joel Tracey? No? His passion for Charlotte is awesome. I asked him 5 questions. Click the link to read his answers.
- Have you met Dr. Jenny Gandhi? I keep saying this because I want them to quote it on the website. She’s the first dentist I’d actually like to have a beer with. She’s awesome. Quote it!
- If you missed Fit You Meals at the event they make awesome healthy food and deliver it right to you. Maria and JP are also two of the genuine people ever. Check out their menu here.
- The Instagram takeovers are blowing up. I want everyone to do this. Check out our instagram here. Then fill out the form here to take Charlotte on an awesome adventure.
- Our featured #WeLoveCLT picture is from Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen. Follow her here. She also attended her first speaker series this week. So awesome. Use the # everyone. I pick a different person every week.
- I did a closing reception in collaboration with HappeningsCLT for local artist Anna Kenar. Her work is awesome and paralyzing to me. I love it. She’s one of the sweetest ever.
- All of you! You’re all awesome. Thanks for the continued support. All this craziness continues to grow each and every day thanks to you. It truly means a lot to me.
Maybe I’ll see y’all at #instabeerupCLT this coming Thursday at Unknown Brewing.
That’s it. Go Be Awesome!